The Bandstand

Somehow I lived after I became here. I found a safe place to hide and sleep and there was enough yellow mold when I got hungry. I didn’t want to wander away too far from the place where I became here just in case someone else came up from the ground after me but nobody has yet. Just me.

One night some strangers wandered through when I was hiding in the theater and I heard them say that this place was called The Rot which is a funny name. I found a place where the water didn’t stink too bad to swim and the more I looked around The Rot the more I felt like it was an ok place. I guess I live here. Well if I have a home anywhere now it is here.

One day I was looking for useful things to pick up when I found a shiny green kettle near a fire. Nobody was around but how did the fire get started I thought. It seemed like almost a magic thing and the fire was nice and warm. I found some tree bark that was like paper earlier that day and I guess I thought to make a note for the kettle. Grammy used to say if you write down a thing and hide it away then the thing might come true or get better or whatever so I guess I wrote down how I liked a place nearby a red thorny flower bush. I wrote that wouldn’t it be nice to have a nook there that was mine where I could stay and I put the note into the green kettle. I guess I felt silly after I did it but also I guess I had a good feeling.



That night I hid and slept in the stinky tunnel where it was safe. I member I had a dream then about people making music like I used to hear tones from my ear covers and they were all right in front of me. The horns they played were so shiny and that was the first time I felt good since I became here.

But the one thing that was best was in the morning when I crawled out of the stinky tunnel there was something new right where my note wisht it would be. I guess I can’t know for sure but somehow I think I made the bandstand real by thinking it on the note. This land is so strange and I have so much trouble thinking and membering sometimes so I know it seems like crazy to say it. But I really think that kettle is magic somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment